International Workers’ Day

  • Increase in recruitment in the Free Zone of around 10-12% per annum

May. Coyol Free Zone and the productive chains it develops currently provide 25,000 quality jobs in the country, considering the Park’s direct and indirect employment figures.

This Free Zone is the leader in medical device manufacturing in Costa Rica and is currently home to 31 companies, 7 of which make up the Top 30 Life Sciences companies worldwide: Medtronic, Philips, Cardinal Health, Abbott Medical, Smith & Nephew, Microvention-Terumo, and Hologic.

79% of its population works in various operational activities, while the other 21% is engaged in administrative tasks such as finance, payroll, and others. In addition, the Park generates employment opportunities for 179 carriers and approximately 384 construction jobs, which vary according to the needs of the projects underway.

“The national human talent is one of the fundamental pillars for companies that consider investing in Costa Rica. The level of specialization, skills and commitment of our employees allows them to develop a successful operation with a guarantee of trained personnel to meet their requirements for new recruitments in the future”, stated Carlos Wong, Managing Director of Coyol Free Zone.

The 25,000 quality jobs generated by Coyol Free Zone are the result of:

  • A permanent growth of human resource opportunities in the order of 10%-12% per year.
  • The arrival of new companies (attraction of foreign direct investment); and
  • Expansion of the companies already operating in the country (reinvestment).

At the same time, this motivates the construction segment specialized in industrial buildings, clean rooms, and global projects, such as those developed by Coyol Free Zone.

The productive chains generated by the park also have an impact on the service sector through small and medium-scale companies that offer daily cleaning, cafeteria, health, maintenance, and other services, as well as a robust network of local suppliers and contractors that link their operations to those of these important companies.

About Coyol Free Zone

Coyol Free Zone is the leading medical device export park in Costa Rica, exporting over US$2 billion per year, which is equivalent to 30% of the exports of the manufacturing segment of the country’s Free Zone Regime.
For the past three years, it has been part of the Top 10 Free Trade Zones in the World and was named the Best Free Trade Zone in the Americas, in the Top 10 worldwide and Honorable Mention for Environmental Practices, Infrastructure and Logistics, by fDi Intelligence in 2022.
In addition, it is the Best Free Trade Zone in Latin America and the Caribbean, the Most Innovative Free Trade Zone of the Year and the Best Business Center for Life Sciences and Advanced Manufacturing, according to The European magazine, as well as the Most Resilient Free Trade Zone in the World in the face of Covid-19, according to Investment Monitor in 2021.